FROM AWARD-WINNING AUTHOR DR GOVIND SHUKLA, NUTRITION EXPERT
Govind Shukla, Specializes in Pharmacology, Toxicology, Nutraceuticals & Herbal Drugs has published More than 50 research papers in National & International Journals. He is also a reviewer of International Journal of Pharmacology & pharmacotherapeutics, Chief editor of IJPNR Journal & Freelance Medical Writer for Different publication Groups including Lambert Academic Publishing Saarbrucken, Germany.
Healthy fasting in Navratri to keep us away from seasonal diseases.
Fasting during Navratri is not only a religious practice, but also has several scientific reasons associated with it. Navratri brings along with it a change in season, change in weather conditions and therefore there could also bring slight changes in the immune system. So, while fast during Navratri, we need to ensure that we consume a healthy diet and keep ourself away from seasonal diseases.
A low-calorie fasting diet is good to go during the nine days of Navratri. low-calorie food items to consume during Navratri in order to have a healthy fasting.
1. Boiled aloo chaat: This healthy yet mouth-watering dish is highly recommended during the fasting period. Consumption of boiled aloo chaat will not make you put on extra calories yet leave you tempted and satiated. Boil some potatoes, cut it into pieces, sprinkle a pinch of salt and lemon juice and make a delicious meal out of it.
2. Roasted makhana: Makahna (Prickly water lily) is said to be the staple food of a fasting meal. Roasted makhanas are less on calories and cholesterol. Also, makhanas keep us fulfilled for a longer time.
3. Lassi: Include more of curd based health drinks like salted lassi and chaach. This will keep us full and provide adequate liquid to the body. Lassi is a light drink and therefore helps to keep a check on weight gain.
4. Yoghurt: Yoghurt is full of nutrition, calcium and protein, all of which makes for a complete food.
5. Fruit salad: This is one of the healthiest low-calorie meals to consume while fasting during Navratri. Mix fruits like papaya, apple, pomegranates, cucumber, and pear in a salad bowl, sprinkle a pinch of salt and make a healthy and tasty fruit salad. Snack on fruits because fruits are low in calories and high in vitamins, minerals and fibre.
6. Kuttu ki Roti: Kuttu is a highly nutritious cereal that also aids weight loss. This will fulfil our hunger and will keep us healthy throughout the fasting season.